Thursday, September 27, 2007

Artesania of diminishing return

I went to the artesania market today and there was a discussion where an artesan was saying how now a days the artesans in Santiago (or in general) are becoming more like merchants and less like craftspeople.

In other news: reggeaton is BIG! I heard it in Spain and now its even more popular in Chile. When I went to a fonda for independence day celebrations I danced cueca (the national dance since 1974). Immediately after that dance I remember that the dj put on a reggeaton song. Even someone's grandmother was dancing to this music! That's a big difference I see here, old people listen to it. Today I also went to a folkore show at the santiago tourist office and the sound engineer put on some reggeaton to sound check. The group was composed of elderly women from comuna florida here in Santiago and when the music came on they began to dance to it, oh snap. Daddy Yankee would be proud.

No comments: