Thursday, June 5, 2008

Interview with Joaquín Orellana


Wednesday a group of us from INDIS went to meet with Orellana. He had been sick the last few weeks so this was the first time I got to meet him. We clicked, something that I was hoping for especially since we are both violinists and studying in Buenos Aires at some point. Besides the interview, some highlights are...
I told him that I had built a guitar in BsAs and then he mentioned the vihuela at which point we both begain to recite Martin Fierro, "Aquí me pongo a cantar, al compas de la vihuela...."

We went to lunch afterwards where he told mexican joke. Half of them I didn't get because of the vocab, but man does he do a great accent.

I'll be working on a grant proposal involving his instruments. The Canadian Langlois foundation gives supports science art projects in developing countries. The entry date isnt until next january, but it doesn't hurt to start now. Plus, this has been a great way to end my Watson year...after studying traditional regional instruments, to study innovations.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Issac, Que bueno que pudiste hablar con Orellana, es un compositor del que muchos hablan pero casi no se conoce su musica fuera de Guatemala.
Me gustaria hacer contacto con él. Podrias facilitarme su información?
Muchas gracias y te felicito por tu trabajo.
Marcelo
musicmt@gmail.com