Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Blisters

I've grown out the nails on my right hand to help me play guitar. It feels weird typing with nails, much harder to hit the keys correctly. I also have a blister on my thumb that prevents me from playing guitar every day. At the beginning of August I played for a few hours straight one day and had to stop playing for a week until my blister popped and became callous again.
In other news, today is the first day I actually noticed a piezoelectric pickup (like the one shown above). There was a guy in the metro playing the guitar with one of these. Very timely as I have been reading about the "tapa armónica" which is the front piece of the guitar body where the pickup is placed. The book describes the need for the wood to resonate and I wondered the effect of the pickup. It is definitely negligible especially considering that I press onto the body with my middle and annular fingers when I pluck with my thumb. Anyways, just a thought.

While I'm at it, another thought is about optically imaging the "tapa armónica" to map out its modes. The only thing regarding optical imaging I've found so far (I haven't searched hard) is someone using light to pickup guitar fingerings.

No comments: