Thursday, August 16, 2007

Busker's Festival


August 2-5 was Bursker's Music Festival in Barceloneta. About 12 bands lined the streets each day along the port and the beach of Barceloneta.
Los Pacos was the first band I saw. They sang hilarious rock music and even covered "la puerta negra" which is a tejano song that I played for Dabney Metal Knight. I liked their matching red converses and ties as well as the cajon instead of a drumset.
What I was really excited to listen was a rumba band called Rumbé (I even bought their shirt afterwards). I stayed here for almost their entire set. In addition to the music, they had a Russian performer in training that did pole climbing. He did acrobatics on a pole they setup until he ripped his pants. What was amazing was that he slid head down about five meters and stopped five cm from the ground. I did a brief mastering of the recording I made of them and gave them to mi morrita to listen. The cool thing about all these street festivals is that there is no rule against recording if I don't sell them.
A fun band was Pegatina that had a guy on stilts pumping the crowd. The style is rumba-reggae. Then moving onto folk internacional bands there was Gattamolesta:
This band had a few vagabonds dancing in front.
As I kept walking down the beachfront I made it to a tango group called Violentango.
The rest of the bands were variations on rock and weren't as impressive or fun as the above mentioned bands.

There is a difficulty with my M-Audio recorder when recording sound reinforced concerts because of the loudness. There is a lot of clipping that occurs, especially with the bass drums and snares.

No comments: