Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Trip Summary

I just came back from an intense one month trip through Chile, Bolivia and Peru. I'll sum things up city by city.

Antofagasta:
I thought I was going to stay here overnight because I arrived from Santiago (17 hour trip) at 8am. I walked around trying to find a laundrymat but the one that Lonely Planet points out was gone and the other one that someone told me about was under construction. Then I walked with my dirty clothes (didn't have time back in Santiago to wash them) around the pier and the historic center and decided that this city was not very interesting. So I went to buy the next bus ticket to San Pedro de Atacama.

San Pedro de Atacama:
Awesome!!! I got to go sandboarding, but the ride to the dunes was tought because I was crazy enough to get there on bike. Oh, also, I met up with kids from Stanford that are studying abroad in Chile. I'd met Shira the week before when I went up to the cordillera to go hiking.
Even crazier than going sandboarding was riding a bike to Valle de la Luna which was a 15km ride. The way there was ok and the sunset was spectacular. But then the ride back, even though it was downhill, took place at night with trucks and cars passing me by on the highway. The big rigs were the ones that pushed me around with their currents.

No comments: