Friday, January 25, 2008

Too few ideas too much time...wait, reverse that...


The recording course at Tecson is going great (btw, I think Tecson comes from Tech and Sound but with an argentine accent). For example, today we covered spacial effects; delay, flange/chorus, reverb. A student from Columbia asked a lot about creating a flange effect with his DJ equipment because he's producing electronic music. I realized that I thought about the analog circuits and DSP algorithms behind the machines/plugins we were using.

Then I write myself notes for tasks to work on, like write guitar distortion programs in matlab or simulate analog delay circuits. I've been doing this for a while by myself trying to apply what Caltech has taught me into something practical that interests me. The problem was that I didn't have the background or experience to complete my tasks (as i get more involved I realize that most of the time I still don't). The issue now is that I have so little projects I want to do, but not enough time to do them and when I start one I move onto another.

Well, today one of the matlab stuff I messed around with came from a frenchperson. My french is terrible now, but at least I knew how to follow the help file to make the guitar effects work (at least something good came out of my senior thesis).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i wish i had done senior thesis. my grade would have been better and i'd have learned matlab, which i don't know AT ALL.