Sunday, March 2, 2008

That was intense



Last night I went to watch Calle 13 at Luna Park in centro BsAs. The show was awesome and there was tons of adrenaline in the crowd. I heart standing room only shows more than seated. It was missing someting, though, that Cafe Tacvba show had...the connection with the band. That and the fact that I had to keep my hand on my wallet the whole time because there were people that just walked around the pit stealing. I sacrificed my cell phone at the concert because it either just happened to fall out of my backpack's side pocket or someone stole it. Oh well, it only had $10 credit, but the real hurt was in the enjoyment of the show.

I did appreciate how Residente dedicated all his hateful songs to Bush which fueled the anti-american atmosphere. Another cool thing was seeing Visitante using Ableton Live to run the show...on the ride back to my apartment I was thinking about how all the songs seemed to have the same BPM (at least different from the CD versions) and thought that it might have something to do with them using Ableton. The sweet part was still that they brought a live band with them and not just a cd player.

Other highlights were a drum group for the song Pal Norte and Bajofondo Tango Club violinist and bandoneonist for Tango del Infierno.

At the end of the show as everyone was leaving a huge fight broke out in the middle of the pit (where I was) when one guy was caught stealing. After years of going to rock shows in California I'd never seen something like this. After moving away from the action, I started a useless search for my cell phone. Still, in accordance with the governing laws of the yin and the yang, I may have lost my phone but at least I caught the right colectivo immediately instead of the usual hour wait at 2am.

Oh and funny thing is that the opening band was Emmanuel Horvilleur, whose music video (here) I had seen when I arrived in Argentina and thought (to be pc) that he was a bit extravagant.

PS: here's a dude back in the US mixing psychology and andean music: http://www.doctorsiles.com/index.html

No comments: