Monday, May 5, 2008

Chapin

Now that I've been traveling so much I feel it payed off to watch Where in the World is Carmen San Diego, lol.

Also, reading my fellow Watson Fellow, Marlon's blog (http://marloniousthunk.blogspot.com/) I got inspired to be more descriptive.

Well, I've made it to the last country of my crazy trip; Guatemala. I'm so glad I have my friend Puli to help me out here. What would have taken me at least a week to find a place and set meetings with musicians/luthiers, she and her friends had already done before I even got to the airport.

I got to see the city as I landed. It reminded me of Bolivia with ravines and houses clinging to the hillsides. Landing through the clouds I saw that at the end of the runway was a steep cliff!!! No wonder people told me that this airport was hard to reach.

There was no time to unpack because we were off to party in Antigua that same night. I got to meet Puli's friends. Luis "Kalimba" with whom I'm staying. Ferro "El Turko" and Ishma. Btw, I have to say that I am Issac "El Mex." Another aside is that I'm growing a slight panic at the sight of mosquitos because of a recent dengue outbreak. Also, man am I happy to be back in the land of tortillas and tacos!!! Guatemala food is different but at least those two things are the same. Ishma feels my pain because she is also from Mexico so we both miss our chile and tortas. There's choripan (bread and sausage) here in Guate which is good but completely different fromt he argentine choripan. Oh, there's also tamarindo and did I already mention tortillas. I didn't know I would be so homesick for food.

Antigua was way chill, and as colonial as everyone says. The story goes that there was the founding city of Guatemala beneath the volcano Aguas which held water in its crater. One side of the crater broke and covered the city. Thus the city moved further to what is now Antigua. And its called Antigua Guatemala because after I think an earthquake, the capital was moved to its current location. I should really just have looked this up on wikipedia, but the story was told to me yesterday as I was coming back from Lake Atitlán.
The place was crazy hard to reach and yet there were swarms of tourists at the city of Pana and on the other side San Pedro. SP is where Puli has uncles who are artesans by day and musicians by night. Luckily I got to meet them and when they brought out the pastel (cake) I busted out my mate. Hurray for mixture of cultures! On our way to their house we took a Tru Tru taxi which is just a moto with a carriage. The streets are so narrow, hilly and there are secret alleywas to different bars and hotels. We talked music with one uncle and then Charlie Chaplin with another...good times. San Pedro has a very chill, free attitude.

Then I found myself at a Reggae festival on a dock behind Casa Elena. Unfortunately it was raining so there was only DJ music. We were about to leave when a live cd of Daft Punk came on and then the dancing in the rain began (I'm still waiting to see when I get sick because of gettting drenched). The other reason for coming to the lake was to see her uncles play latin music at Buddah bar. They only had a guitar and percussion but dang did they get people dancing. Then at intermission when it stopped raining we went back to check out the performance and chilled on the dock while listening to some Guatemalan reggae.

No comments: