Monday, October 29, 2007

No visit to a 3rd World country would be complete without...

Yesterday was the Sunday market in El Alto, a town next to La Paz and by next to I mean on top of the plato overlooking La Paz. One of my greatest achievements so far has to be being able to take public transportation. This SoCal guy was so used to driving everywhere that catching a bus to El Alto (2 Bolivianos) was no small feat.

There was everything from alternators to a Chavo del Ocho stuffed doll. I bought lots of music and music video DVDs.

My visit to Bolivia wouldn't have been complete if I hadn't gotten the runs. Great! Now I can move on to another 3rd world country. The food here tastes great, but it doesn't go well with my stomach. Neither did the pitchers of an orange cocktail I drank Saturday night. To back up, Saturday evening I went to Peña Parsona Bolivia to watch my charango instructor play with his group Waipala. (The name of the group is also the name of the indigenous flag which has become a big symbol now that Evo Morales is president). That peña was filled with tourists and the ten dollar cover charge felt like a huge hit to my wallet because everything else in Bolivia is so cheap (for example the 5 Bol. cover charge for the Jamuy peña/disco).

Well, after their show I hung out with my teacher, the drummer and their manager as we went peña hopping. Gota de Agua, had a cultural group playing with large drums that they carried on one shoulder and each of them playing a different style of zampoña. This is where that orange drink came into play. But as long as I don't get the stomach flu or something worse I'll manage.

No comments: