Friday, October 5, 2007

Things are looking up

Yesterday I went to Plaza de los Dominicos where I was told there was a good artesan center. I finally found the music store that had traditional south american instruments with Mapuche (Native Chilean) horns that I'd never seen before. The storeowner apparently was out to lunch so I just took some pictures and kept walking around. When I passed the store a second time I felt like I was being followed. That person finally asked me if I was looking for him. Since I had no idea who he was I said no. But then I found out that he was Enrique Rebolledo, luthier! We had a short conversation about the instruments before he left for lunch.
The interesting part is that he was warned about some guy taking pictures (me) because there have been times when Chinese people visit, take pictures and then make copies of the crafts that they find.
Things look good because when I return from my trip I might be able to help him out. We'll see how things go.

1 comment:

cinky ho said...

haha, that's why there would be problems if i were doing your project. i would be looking around and taking pictures, and the owner would be like, "get the fuck away, china!"