Saturday, July 7, 2007

Arrival in Spain

Belated happy 4th of July. I spent the day traveling. Jaja, it took me 2 hours to get through security at LAX because of my one way ticket.

I made it! My room for the next two months is:
1 Canvis Vells
Barcelona, Spain

I was awed when I reached Placa EspaƱa on the bus ride. When I got off at my bus stop in Placa Catalunya, I was prepared to carry all my luggage to the hostel which was supposed to be a 20 min walk. One hour lated I arrived at the hostel. I had passed the street four times because all the street signs are on the buildings and not on the street lights. Also, I confused plaza names for street names.

Once I got to Alberg Hostel i got only a little worried because there were no empty beds. Good thing I didn't carry my luggage up the stairs. I found a bed somewhere else and got settled in around 9pm. I went for a walk to the pier and then called it a night. Or so I thought, because then came in 5 loud UK girls. Then the air broke and it because a humid 90 degrees with one guy snoring in the 8 bed room. Well that was fun!

Yesterday I got my room, a cell phone number:
34 693269548
While doing so I learned how to use the metro to get to the student housing office which hooked me up with my room. I share a four bedroom apartment three blocks from the beach and half a km from Universitat Pompeu Fabra which I plan to visit this week to check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h-RhyopUmc

Then at night I went out for Tapas and a Flamenco show.

I'm still amazed at the architecture of all the 5 story buildings that create quaint alleys and shops at every corner.

This morning I had breakfast on the beach. I had York Ham which is just a baguette with a slice of ham and some tomato sauce.

Without a doubt I'm loving it here! although it would be nice to have someone to share the experience with. This independence, however, is what the Watson is about. I'm amazed at how much I accomplished with just two days in a country I've never visited.

No comments: