Thursday, July 12, 2007

On the Street

On Monday morning (same day as the Jaume Torrent concert) I took the metro to Lesseps to pay my housing. On the way back I saw someone on the street playing the guitar with a bag out for change. This was not new because people play on the street all over the place, but it was different because this was a guy that was definitely over 60 years old. I gave him a euro and knelt down to listen. He said he had a "secret" to playing the guitar. He then asked me what song I wanted to hear and since I didn't know any Spanish singers I just asked for a flamenco song and told him I was from Mexico. Surprisingly, he begin to play a song that my grandparents used to sing.
"Aya en el rancho grande, aya donde vivía. Había una rancherita, que siempre me decía...."
I sang the rest of the song with him and then found out his "secret." He didn't play any chords, but just the melody notes of the song, haha! That was pretty poor playing, but to me it was almost more musical than the concert that I would see that night because he reached out to me and played something that stirred my emotions.

No comments: