Thursday, July 26, 2007

Fiesta Major de Poble Sec


My second Fiesta Major was last weekend in the barrio of Poble Sec. The way I found out about this festival was walking back from visiting Montjuic and seeing the fliers on the walls. On Saturday July 21, Rachel Hall has asked me if I wanted to meet up for dinner. When we met up I told her about the festival and so we trekked over to Poble Sec. The first stage we arrived at (each street had a stage with 5 or 6 stages total) was a dance group composed of elderly women and dancing a southern style. After the dancing came an elderly man singing a few songs and then began the bingo. Needless to say that this was the retirement stage.

Barcelona is an international city and so every little barrio has their own mixture of immigrants. In Poble Sec there is a large group of Dominicanos and so one of the stages was a group that right away I recognized sounded like Aventura. Then later on they played some covers by that group.

Now it was about 10pm and time to eat dinner. We went into a small dinner and to our surprise began a show like the Buena Vista Social Club. The first act was a man singing Cuban songs and afterwards came out the owner of the restaurant. She was a woman that was definitely past 40, but also very well kept because she came out in a Las Vegas showgirl outfit!!! Thus, this was one of the most interesting dinners I've had and the food was new also. I forgot the name of what I ordered, but it was white meat on top of a huge piece of bread.

No comments: