Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Guitar Trick

When I went in for flamenco guitar lessons last week I noticed that with certain chords my guitar had a weird resonance. It sounded like one of the metal pegs was loose...now that I think about it I wish I would have recorded that sound. The instructor, Javier, knew what it could be and asked to borrow my guitar instead of me taking into the shop. He said, "no te asustes," before he began to reassure me that he knew what he was doing. He began to move the strings to one side of the fretboard, off of the nut. He continued until all the strings were set aside and the nut came right off. I had didn't know that it wasn't glued on. I was used to a violin, which takes more effort to raise the strings off the fretboard. He then placed a thin piece of wood underneath to raise the nut and then replaced the strings. This solved the problem! and without having to unwind all the strings.

No comments: