Thursday, July 19, 2007

International Workshop on Computation Music


On Monday I went to visit L'Auditori de Musica and Found that there was a school of music ESMuC (Escuela Superior de Musica de Catalunya) in the same building. As I was reading the announcements on the bulletin boards (which is difficult because things are written in Catalan...more on that later) I saw one showing that there was the 4th International Workshop on Computational Music Theory to be held this week (http://www.esmuc.net/sonologia/iwcmt07/index.html#program). In addition, the group hosting the workshop is from the Music Technology Group of University of Pompeu Fabra which I was planning to visit anyway because of their cool research into music synthesis (http://mtg.upf.edu/reactable/?media).

I was indeed lucky because their topic of music similarities would be using Flamenco music as their style for observation. Two professors from the University of Sevilla came to give an introduction to Flamenco. This workshop has given me great contacts and references for my study of the flamenco guitar.

The main point that I learned is that Flamenco has an oral history which means that the styles have been categorized more by regions and culture than by the musical aspects of each style.

What the group of professors was trying to achieve was a computational method to measure similarities in the melodies of Flamenco singers.

Today was the last day of the workshop, afterwhich we went to the Museu de la Musica where I was able to take notes on the history of the different stringed instruments on display.

No comments: