Wednesday, July 25, 2007

It's a Small World After All

The group from the workshop was invited to visit the Music Technology Group (MTG) at University of Pompeu Fabra. There was some downtime before the presentation so the professors attending asked me why I had joined the workshop. After I explained my fellowship (which I'm getting better at explaining after so many times) Dr. Rachel Hall told me that she too is a Watson Fellow! What's even better is that her project was studying traditional dance in Ireland.
I'm inspired now. After her fellowship she got her PhD. in math and was able to continue her musical interests by playing a band and doing research in musical similarity.

MTG is doing some really sweet research, for example with Yamaha to improve karaoke, in the areas of music synthesis and transformation and feature extraction. The freesound project is also their creation and is now getting support from Google. I could definitely see myself doing graduate work in this group.

No comments: