Saturday, February 23, 2008

Copado

Djembe Recording

Yesterday I went to Tecson recording studio to sample the djembe drum I made back in Santiago in November. The two mics on top are a sure 57 and an AKG 414. Under the seat I tested out another AKG 414 and a shure D112 and shure beta98 to pick up the lows from the resonating chamber of my drum. The best combination was the two 414 although the 414 on top and d112 on bottom was good also.

Now I have 44kHz, 24bit recordings of my drum to use as samples when I create beats and loops using Ableton Live. I'm going to start doing this with all my instruments that way I have the sounds on my laptop. I plan on sending my instruments home with a friend and my sister who will be visiting me next month. When I reach Guatemala I want to be traveling light because I don't plan on staying in any particular place for too long.

In other news, restringing my charango was a perrada. My fingers hurt from winding the tremendously hard machine tuners. This makes me appreciate better craftmanship. It also took hours to tune it because of how much the strings strech. But now I'm happy that I have my charango in working order. This time I used cianocrilato, an instant adhesive that's pretty much crazy glue.

No comments: