Monday, February 18, 2008

Uruguay!!!





Last weekend I went to Uruguay. What an intense trip. I left at 6am on friday from Buenos Aires and hopped on a ferry to Colonia, Uruguay. There a bus took me to Montevideo where I met up with Marlon. His apartment building looked like it was about to be demolished because the stores on the bottom floor were abandoned and the elevator was all the way in the back. The elevator was sweet also cuz you could open the doors from inside the elevator while its moving.

That night we headed to tabladas, which are outdoor stages that have murgas playing. They are really awesome at harmonizing their vocals. The percussion section was less important than I had thought. After only three groups and a choripan it started to pour like we needed an arc. We ended up staying dry in the lady's bathroom. That was the most interest form of meeting people. There was an old guy from Mexico that reminded me of my tio antoƱo. He was working in low income housing on behalf of the UN. We then hung out with those people till late (when it stopped raining).

Saturday we struggled to wake up and head over to Durazno. Because we couldn't get ahold of the guy that was supposed to host us (cheers to being homeless like last weekend at Gualeguaychu) we headed to the river. You can tell you're in a developed country when there's a lifeguard on a beach at the river.
Then came the llamadas which is hard to describe so I'll just say this...

No comments: