Sunday, February 10, 2008

What about you...I mean Gualeguaychu



Last night I went to Gualeguaychu to watch Carnaval del País. I was supposed to leave at 1pm from Retiro, BsAs, but the next bus available left at 6pm...so I hung out downtown until it was time to go to Gualeguaychu. Its a three hour bus ride ($72) afterwhich I arrived just in time to get my entrance ($30). The first weekend of January I had seen this on TV from BsAs and I thought it was cool to check it out for myself. Unfortunately, like most of my Watson travels, I was traveling by myself.

The first thing I thought about when the music started playing (well, first was a thought about the dancers) was where is the band? Its helpful if I mention that I was in one of the last stands so by the time the first comparsa came around I almost thought the music came from a tape deck because it was so repetitive...but I realized that each comparsa has their own song and they play it all along the corsodromo. The entire band was placed on a float! The console and audio equipment rack was in the back followed by the audio staff who looked out of place (because they were fully clothed).I then wondered the setup for them sending the audio signals to the speakers because it had to be wireless transmission and the speaker towers independent. As one band makes it to the end of the corsodromo the one following starts playing. The audio changed from tower to tower (don't know how to better explain that right now).

It was a bit of a rough trip because I didn't book a hotel room at Gualeguaychu, just hopped on a bus back at 3am. At least I wasn't driving. I also wish that the subte would start sooner on the weekends like it did in Barcelona, but at least I now know what colectivos take me back to my apartment so I can find my way back at 6am.


p.s. The fact that I'm now getting music recommendations from my little sister confirms the fact that I have the musical taste of a 15 year old girl. Oh south Orange County what did you do to me? Hand me my skateboard and guitar cuz I don't want to enter the working world.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"The fact that I'm now getting music recommendations from my little sister confirms the fact that I have the musical taste of a 15 year old girl."

Amen to that.
Haha.