Sunday, February 3, 2008

Ozomatli BsAs LA connection





Last night I saw Ozomatli at the Roxy Club (formerly el Teatro), and guess what...it was free!!! I got there about an hour before the show started so I had plenty of stitting by myself to do. Luckily two gringas asked if they could sit down next to me. I asked them where they were from and they said Buenos Aires...jaja. They're actually from Westmont.

The show rocked!!! Of course, cuz its Ozomatli. Everytime they said Los Angeles I went nuts and screamed out "yeah LA!" I got to see a sweet djembe performance by Jiro, the Japanese percussionist. Towards the end they came down to the pit and played in the middle of the crowd. During one of the songs, the guitarist, Raul Pacheco, said he wanted to meet argentinians and establish a connection because part of their tour experience is learning about the people. And true to his word he came out to the crowd after the show with his camera to document his trip to BsAs. He took a picture of me, I wonder where it will end up? After that I took one with him.After the show I headed out with my new found friends. Luckily this was also the first night of the carnaval celebration in BsAs. The celebration is not very big, but there's murgas, street bands composed of fancy dresses, percussion and singing, that compete in february for being the best murga.But the night didn't stop there because it was still early (2am). Thus we headed out to Palermo where we went to:Which is a bar/boliche. There was this one guy dancing by himself that could have definitely been a Tech alum. He was even teaching girls how to do rave moves. That was at the top floor where it was non-stop marcha. On the first floor there was pop and this one guy with a headlight and a chick deafeaning everyone with a whistle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, it was quite a show. They actually played again at 3am, but it was a uch shorter show and the crowd was not into it like the 9pm show.